How the application process works
Before you start
The application process
- You will be able to complete the form in steps without losing information.
- The online application form consists of various sections. In order to process to the next section, all the information in the current section must be completed and accepted by the information management system.
- The application process is the same for South African and foreign students.
- It is best to use Google Chrome as web browser when completing your application.
Go to www.USB.ac.za/apply
and complete the online PhD
in Business Management and Administration application form by completing each of the following sections:
Section 1: Personal details
Section 2: Address details
Section 3: Work and studies
Section 4: Marketing
Section 5: Documentation
Upload the following supporting documentation:
- Certified copy of ID or passport
- Certified copies of academic records/transcripts
- Certified copies of degree certificates
- Curriculum vitae (CV) (see below)
- Motivational essay (see below)
- Initial research proposal (see below)
- Proof of payment of the application fee.
Your application can only be assessed by the selection panel if it is accompanied by your completed online application form, all the supporting documents, proof of your application fee payment, and your completed selection test. The outcome of the selection process will be made known within 30 days or as soon as possible thereafter.
Write an essay of about 250 words to describe:
- Those academic and/or professional achievements which have contributed most to your development
- Your educational goals, research interests and professional aims.
Curriculum vitae (CV)
The information provided in your CV will be treated as confidential. Your CV must contain:
- Details of your previous studies, i.e. subjects passed, thesis and/or working papers
- Particulars of previous research experience, including a list of published articles and papers presented at conferences
- An overview of your activities after completion of your master's degree
- Two contactable references who can comment on your abilities to undertake research and who can support your motivation for wanting to commence with PhD research.
Initial research proposal
The initial research proposal forms a very important part of the application package and serves to demonstrate whether you have a mature approach to high-level research. The section on Development and format of research proposal (see below) offers guidelines to assist you. Also, consult the books mentioned in the section above on Application procedure. It is your responsibility to construct and submit an acceptable initial proposal.
When are the applications considered?
The Doctoral Research Committee considers applications at the end of March and September each year.