How to apply
Before you start
The application process
- You will be able to complete the form in steps without losing information.
- The online application form consists of various sections. In order to process to the next section, all the information in the current section must be completed and accepted by the information management system.
- The application process is the same for South African and foreign students.
- It is best to use Google Chrome as web browser when completing your application.
Go to www.USB.ac.za/apply
and complete the online PhD
in Development Finance application form by completing each of the following sections:
Section 1: Personal details
Section 2: Address details
Section 3: Work and studies
Section 4: Marketing
Section 5: Documentation
Upload the following supporting documentation:
o Proof of application fee payment
o Detailed CV (see below)
o Certified copies of degree certificates (which must include a transcript of the subjects)
o Motivational essay (see below)
o Proof of school-leaving mathematics results
o Copy of your ID (or passport for non-SA students)
o Marriage certificate (where the applicant’s new surname does not match that on the degree certificates).
Section 6: Payment of application fee
- Application fee: Bank: Standard Bank; Type of account: cheque account; Account name: US Business School; Account number: 073003069; Branch name: Stellenbosch; Branch code: 050610; Beneficiary name: Stellenbosch University; SWIFT code: SBZAZAJJ. Proof of payment of your application fee and SHL fee should be e-mailed to the cashier at email@example.com.
Section 7: Status
What happens next?
Your application can only be assessed by the selection panel, headed by USB’s head of Doctoral Programmes,
if it is accompanied by all the appropriate supporting documents. The outcome of the selection process will be made known within 30 days or as soon as possible thereafter. (If your qualifications are not from a South African university and/or you are not a South African national, please allow more time for the processing of your application.) Motivational essay
Write an essay of about 250 words to describe:
Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Those academic and/or professional achievements that inform your aspiration to do a PhD and your particular research interest
- Your educational goals and professional aims
- Any information not evident from the rest of your application package which can assist the Admissions Committee to assess the value of your proposed research.
Your CV must contain:
PhD Admissions Office:
- Details of your studies to date
- Particulars of previous research experience, including any published articles and papers presented at conferences
- An overview of your activities after the completion of your master's degree
- Two references who can be contacted to comment on your abilities and who can support your motivation for wanting to commence with PhD research.
Ms Joanne Sleigh
Telephone: +27 (0)21 918 4239 | E‐mail: Joanne.Sleigh@usb.ac.za Academic aspects of USB’s doctoral programme:
Head of PhD
Development Finance – Dr